Are you looking for an easy side dish to add to your holiday meal? Look no further, view this healthy recipe for roasted asparagus below from SNCC’s Registered Dietitian Melanie Mitchell.
- 1 bunch of fresh asparagus
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1 TBSP balsamic vinegar (any kind)
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4-1/3 cup sliced almonds (walnuts or pecans can work too)
- 1-2 tsp sugar
- cooking spray
- Heat oven to 425 degrees (roast if your oven has that as an option) and coat a baking sheet with cooking spray
- Rinse, dry, and trim (break off the fibrous base of the stalk) asparagus
- Toss the asparagus in the olive oil and balsamic vinegar mix
- Place the asparagus in a row on the baking sheet
- Sprinkle with kosher salt and place in the oven for 15-20 minutes. Watch closely for preferred doneness.
- While the asparagus cooks, place the nuts into a small skillet coated in cooking spray on low heat.
- Sprinkle the sugar onto the nuts and move constantly until the sugar starts to liquify. Remove the nuts from the pan and allow to cool on a plate or parchment paper.
- Serve the asparagus on a small plater with the nuts sprinkled on top.
If you are a patient and have questions about your diet, please ask your oncologist at your next appointment about receiving a complimentary nutritional session with Melanie Mitchell, SNCC Registered Dietitian.