Palliative care is a comfort and support specialty for people with advanced or complicated illnesses. It is appropriate at any stage of a serious disease and can be provided alongside curative treatments. Palliative care is commonly described as a multidimensional approach that offers an extra level of support to help both families and patients manage the pain, symptoms and stress of their disease. The goal of this approach is to encourage individuals to live fully and to maximize their quality-of-life throughout the entire process.
Palliative care consultations traditionally include these components:
- A holistic approach to the stress of illness (assessment/treatment of pain and physical symptoms, psychosocial patient/caregiver support, spiritual support)
- Communication strategies to elicit patient-centered values and goals
- Help with coping and decision-making along the disease trajectory
- Shared decision-making regarding hospice referral, when nearing end-of-life
- Facilitating and reinforcing communication between patient and referring provider
Download the SNCC Palliative Care flyer for additional information.
Palliative Care Clinic Location and Hours:
- Every Tuesday and Thursday
- 201 S. 68th Street Pl. and 3901 Pine Lake Rd, Ste 111; Lincoln
Phone: (402) 420-7000