Spinach and Artichoke Stuffing
Not your traditional “stuffing” however a healthy twist that can be used as an appetizer or side dish during the holidays and beyond. Artichokes are a prebiotic protecting us against colds while spinach provides vitamin C and fiber to boost overall health.
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 1 (14 oz) can of quartered artichokes drained & chopped
- 6-9 cups of fresh spinach (1 handful =1 cup)
- 5 oz log of soft goat cheese or cream cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- Place 2 TBSP of olive oil into a large skillet with medium heat
- Add garlic and stir for 1-2 minutes until fragrant
- Add artichokes and spinach stirring continuously until wilted & hot throughout
- Remove from heat and mix in cheese to the skillet, stirring until mixed
- Season to taste with salt, pepper and a dash of cayenne
This filling can be used as a dip for crackers, pita chips or vegetables. It can also be used as a topping for stuffed peppers, baked potatoes or as a pizza topping on naan bread. You can also mix in toasted pine nuts, chopped chicken and pasta to turn this dish into a meal. Garnish with chopped red pepper for a festive appeal!
If you are a patient and have questions about your diet, please ask your oncologist at your next appointment about receiving a complimentary nutritional session with Melanie Mitchell, SNCC Registered Dietitian.